My SiriusXM tracker for ‘The Heat’ radio station has now been running since the summer of 2016 and has collected a good amount of data. It seemed like a great opportunity to make use of this data for getting some insight into what songs/artists/albums have been popular throughout the months, and also get some Spark practice under my belt.
For more information regarding the tracker you can see my previous blog post or view the live web client here. There is also a clone tracking ‘The Highway’ station. The source code for following post is available at the end.
Before a song is stored in the database it is ran through some filters to ensure that only real songs are kept, and things like promos, different channel advertisements, DJ Mixes, etc. are discarded. A song that passes the filters then is checked against the Spotify API, and if it exists there the Spotify metadata is recorded as well. We can say that the stored songs, which also have Spotify data can be regarded as good. Nothing is perfect of course, and sometimes songs are not found on Spotify because of different spellings between SiriusXM and Spotify or some bad data has slipped through the filters.
From all the songs tracked, 97.27% have Spotify metadata. From the remaining 2.73% that do not, the top 3 played songs among them are by Beyoncé. Since Beyoncé’s music is not on Spotify, we can safely assume that those 3 songs can also be counted as good. Bringing the amount of good data to 99.12%. Looking very good!
I remember there was a brief period of time in which the tracker had gone down due to a change in the Spotify API policy, now requiring access tokens. Looking at the tracked songs per day we easily can see the gap, between May 29, 2017 and June 11 2017. Other than, that it looks like smooth sailing and there is consistent data throughout the recorded timeframe.
First tracked song: Nothing Is Promised by Mike WiLL Made-It, Rihanna on June 20th, 2016.
Last tracked song: rockstar by Post Malone, 21 Savage on January 8th, 2017.
Total songs: 200,871
Total different songs played: 1,508
Total artists played: 1,041
|1||DJ Drama, Chris Brown, Skeme, Lyquin||Wishing||2197|
|3||PARTYNEXTDOOR, Drake||Come and See Me||2003|
|5||Usher, Young Thug||No Limit||1949|
|6||DJ Khaled, Drake||For Free||1900|
|7||ScHoolboy Q, Miguel, Justine Skye||Overtime||1875|
|8||The Game, Jeremih||All Eyez||1868|
|11||Chris Brown||Grass Ain't Greener||1737|
|13||Bruno Mars||24K Magic||1718|
|14||Bruno Mars||That's What I Like||1699|
|15||Chris Brown, Usher, Gucci Mane||Party||1646|
|17||Kevin Hart, Trey Songz||Push It On Me||1616|
|20||The Weeknd, Daft Punk||Starboy||1596|
|21||French Montana, Swae Lee||Unforgettable||1569|
|22||Kendrick Lamar, Rihanna||LOYALTY.||1554|
|23||Ty Dolla $ign, Lil Wayne, The-Dream||Love U Better||1538|
|25||Calvin Harris, Frank Ocean, Migos||Slide||1487|
|27||Bryson Tiller||Sorry Not Sorry||1469|
|28||Meek Mill, Chris Brown, Ty Dolla $ign||Whatever You Need||1468|
|29||Gucci Mane, Drake||Both||1463|
|30||Kid Ink, Jeremih, Spice||Nasty||1459|
Most Played per Month:
|2016||June||Grass Ain't Greener||102|
|2016||October||Come And See Me||259|
|2016||November||Do You Mind||246|
|2016||December||Come And See Me||289|
|2016||December||Do You Mind||252|
|2017||January||Push It On Me||292|
|2017||January||Do You Mind||263|
|2017||April||That's What I Like||271|
|2017||May||That's What I Like||267|
|2017||June||I'm The One||181|
|2017||August||It's A Vibe||296|
|2017||August||Whatever You Need||290|
|2017||September||Love U Better||273|
|2017||October||Love U Better||256|
|2017||November||Love U Better||308|
Most Played Song in a Single Day:
|Kendrick Lamar, Zacari||LOVE.||December 4, 2017||21|
|Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla $ign||Something New||December 4, 2017||20|
|SZA||The Weekend||December 6, 2017||19|
|Miguel, Travis Scott||Sky Walker||December 4, 2017||19|
|Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla $ign||Something New||December 6, 2017||19|
|Miguel, Travis Scott||Sky Walker||December 6, 2017||19|
The source code and Spark project for the analysis above can be found on my GitHub.